PAGES

Wednesday 25 June 2014

The ups and downs of quilting and being a mum

I didn't know what it was called before but thanks to the very talented Modflowers I now what it is that I suffer from...quilting fear. Yes, quilting fear, it is awful, the self doubt and loathing because you know what you want your quilt to look like, you know how to do it, but can't quite pluck up the courage to actually put needle to quilt.  The anxiety. 

I suppose quilting is quite an investment.  An investment of your time. An investment of your precious material.  



....okay that was written about two weeks ago...What a lot of tosh/wishful thinking on my part...I do not suffer from quilting fear, just plain incompetence.


I cannot stitch in the ditch...successfully.


I am really fed up of unpicking 'gone wrong' bits.


I am not sure Big G will ever get a finished article.

I may have to go on a course so I can find someone to stand over me whilst i attempt the last two lines of stitching in the ditch.

I can't even think about the binding...don't think I have the stomach for making my own, even though I really, really, really want to have a go.  


Sometimes I know my ideas far exceed my actual ability...but I do like to have a go.  I must stop doing it to myself!


I know a bad workman blames his tools....but my table is only 1.5 m2 and my trusty sewing machine doesn't have a walking foot and the table cloth keeps slipping (take it off then...yeah I know) and how am I supposed to stuff half of a single  quilt through the right side of the needle bit and concentrate on what I'm doing?  


I was so excited today as this was the first day in yonks that I've had the day to myself, no important calls to make, errands to the post office, children to take to appointments, a tonne of washing to be done.  Every thing is done...except the quilt!  


Anyway it all went pear shaped again and now I'm completely deflated.    

Humpf....

Sorry for the rant.  

Will be back on my best behaviour next time. 

Here are some nice pictures to cheer us all up again.  


Big G is growing up, it hit me this week.  

She sat her last GCSE exam on Monday, and then travelled to Broadstairs by coach to stay with my sister for the week.  ALL BY HERSELF.  

She is perfectly capable, very sensible and I'm not worried about her safety anymore than I normally worry (!) - its just that she took it all in her stride.  Didn't need directions to the coach station, booked it online herself.....

...don't think she needs me as much any more.  Something I've been longing for...but now that it has started...I'm not ready and I'm sure sure that I even like it!


Bloomin heck - this parenting lark is hard work!

Til next time my lovelies
x


PPS - Just as I was about to press the 'publish' button, the postman  delivered the mail.  I noticed a brown padded envelope addressed to MUM!  

I opened it up and this is what I found.  Thank you Big G it is beautiful.  Just like the scottie dog on my Cath Kidston pencil case I had at uni! 



Ignore the stain on my old tea towel.   




So although Big G may not need me quite so much anymore - she still thinks about me.  Yay!
x

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, hold steady on the quilt! I've only ever made one, (small one) I didn't sew through all the layers, except on the edge! Can you unpick those stitches and just bind the edges? I've also seen People just put small ties through in different places rather than stitch right through (Rosehip) did this. Lovely presents. It's hard when the teenagers want to go off on big trips on their own, she did well though! Heather X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you Heather...I will unpick the stitches and give it another go. Poor Big G she is being patient! X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping by. It is always lovely to hear your comments, they are read and cherished x
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...